Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Enchorer Dalna aka Raw Jackfruit Curry

Enchor aka raw jack fruit curry is a must have in all bengali homes during summer. I always used to look forward to the day when enchor was cooked at home. It does not happen that regularly as it is really a very tedious process to cut and clean the fruit. Last year I have cooked it once but I used the canned version, which I did not like that much. This year, with summer becoming more intense, suddenly I was craving this curry from my childhood. The husband surprised me by getting one last week. I am also extremely thankful to him for cutting the fruit with utmost care and patience. I am sorry to admit that I did not learn to cut the fruit while growing up, whereas, my husband been a keen observer as he is, learned it simply by watching his mom doing it.


Ingredients

Raw Jackfruit - 1 medium, thoroughly clean and cut
Potato - 1 medium, cut into cubes, smear them with a pinch of salt, turmeric and cumin powder
Tomato - 1 medium, choppef fine
Red Onion - 2 medium, chopped fine
Clove - 3-5
Green Cardamom - 6-8
Cinnamon - 1 inch stick
Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin powder - 2 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red chilli - 2 or as per taste
Green Chillies - 2 or more
Yogurt - 2 tablespoon
Ghee or clarified butter - 2 teaspoon
Oil - 2 tablespoon, I used mustard oil, any oil should do
Salt to taste


Cut the fruit, (I am sure there are many tutorials out in net) or simply by the canned ones (not too bad). Make sure, you buy the unripe fruit and not the ripe one. Oil your hand, knife and cutting board generously, otherwise the gum it secretes really stick to everything making it difficult to cut.  Do not use gloves, unless it is well oiled. Spread newspaper and place the fruit on it.

                               
Boil the cut jackfruit for 10 minutes, drain away the water and wash it once with cold water. While the jackfruit is getting boiled, heat oil in a pan and temper it with cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and red chilli.

Add the onions to it and saute it till it starts to get golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Add tomatoes at this point with a bit of sugar. While caramelizing, it will impart a nice color.


When tomatoes are mushy and onions are nice golden in color, add the potatoes to it and saute it for another 3-4 minutes.

Then add the boiled jackfruit to it. Mix the cumin, coriander and garam masala powder with yogurt, beat it well and add it to the curry. I always lower the heat down when adding yogurt to it, otherwise it may curdle. Add the green chilies and salt to it. Mix it well for 3-4 minutes, it smells really nice at this point.

Add 1/2 cup warm water to it, cover it up and cook till done, another 10 minutes.


When done, add the ghee (optional), give it a mix, turn off the heat and keep it covered for another couple of minutes.

Your delicious raw jackfruit curry is ready to eat.


Serve it with warm white rice, roti, naan or parathas.

Enjoy!


I have converted one of the above image to gray mode and this is my contribution to this week's Black and White Wednesday - a fantastic culinary photography event started by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook and now managed by Cinzia of Cindystar. This week it is hosted by Susan herself. For participation details, click here.



Happy Wednesday.

4 comments:

  1. I would love to try this someday, Sanhita. Saw a jackfruit for first time in my local market not too long ago - huge!

    Thanks for sharing your yummy shot for BWW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try and like it. The ripe fruit tastes really sweet and is full of flavor.

      Delete
  2. This is one fruit I have yet to try. You made me even more curious to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simona. I hope you try someday and like it.

      Delete